Wednesday, December 9, 2009

His Favorite Pajamas that He Can't Stand


I can never buy new clothing for Pook. Second hand tends to be softer and more palatable to his skin. So, when I saw a second hand pair of pure cotton pajamas the other week, I picked them up for him.

Now, you have to understand, anything “new” or “different” doesn’t go over well with Pookie. It’s a journey to get him to put on any article of clothing he hasn’t already worn and recognizes. However, like younger siblings, he wants what his older brother has. So, his brother got him all excited about his new pajamas and how they were super hero pajamas. (Apparently Power Rangers although none of my children watch the show…I thought it was Robin). So, finally we get him to put on his pajamas and go to bed.

Another thing you have to understand is that getting Pook to change his clothing for any reason is another battle. Again, it’s a change and to Pook, any change is a bad change. So, he typically wears his pajamas all day until we need to go somewhere. The other night he even wore his pajamas to church. Yes, I said he wore his pajamas to church. When you have to choose between going to church with your son in pajamas or staying at home cause the meltdown that ensued when you tried to get him dressed lasted the rest of the night…..well, you see what I mean.

So, here we are this morning. Pook is wearing his pjs and loves them. They’re “Power Ranger” pajamas and he’s thrilled. Only, the legs are a bit long. So, each time he walks/runs, they want to fall down around his feet. This is completely unacceptable to him. It’s agonizing to him and completely short circuits his entire being. But, he cannot accept that changing his clothes would be a good thing for him. Change is bad, plain and simple. So, I’m now rolling them above his knees every 5-10 minutes. I know when they fall down again cause I hear his blood curdling scream and his thrashing around.

My entire day will go this way. If I’m lucky, maybe I’ll be able to get him in the bathtub or shower later. Here lately, that’s the only way we manage to get his clothes off of him. Of course, I do still occasionally find him fully clothed, immersed in a tub of water, and no idea that anything is not as it should be! 


No comments:

Post a Comment