Sunday, July 4, 2010

Pook's Amazing Thoughts....

There's just so many ways Pook has grown lately, and I'm not talking physically. 

First, Pook has a girlfriend! Yep....a girlfriend. It doesn't matter at all that she's over a decade older then him, he adores her. Each time he sees her he pulls at me until I take him to her. I have no idea why I must take him to her, once he's with her he forgets I exist. He snuggles up to her, bats his eyes at her, and is calmer then he has ever been. She puts him down and he follows close behind her. So close I'm sure she can feel his breath! He holds both his hands in front of him, like a small puppy that rises on it's hind legs begging for treats. She stops, he stops. She turns, he turns. The look of adoration on his face leaves me speechless. (and not many things can do that!)

Second, his concepts of himself and the world around him are growing. He told me the other night, "Mommy, I can change my mind! Watch....yes, no, yes, no, yes, no." A few days later he asked me about someone else, "You mean she changed her mind?!" He seemed quite shocked that someone else was capable of doing so! 

Then, there is the fact that he's started telling some tall tales. And boy has he told some whoopers!! I know, it's a normal stage of development. I'm pleased that he's right on track with this stage. I can't help but giggle as I hear the stories he tells his father and as I see the expressions on his father's face. I'm not sure which part I like hearing the best.....Pook's stories, or his father's responses!! 

The other night, leaving a friends house, I told Pook to get his car seat straps on. He told me he had. I looked back and thinking I was going to be on top of this conversation, asked him to show me. He looks at his chest, pretends to pick up his straps, lifts them up for my inspection, and then looks  me straight in the eye. I tell him that I don't see any straps and completely exasperated with my incompetence he says, "They're invisible! Duh!" (Duh....my 4 year old says duh!) Sooo, now Pook has his invisible straps and the "other ones" I force him to buckle! 

Everyone has noticed a difference since Pook started his cod liver oil. It's taken 4 years before his little bowels could tolerate it, but I am so thankful to God that he can now. His speech is improving by leaps and bounds, his attention span is longer, and he's soooo much calmer. At this stage, if it weren't for his speech delays and his obsessive compulsive behavior, he'd be clocked at "typical". 

It's taken 4 long years full of tears, both mine and his, but finally it looks like things are starting to settle down. All the things that I was told couldn't happen with him, are. All the progress I was told he couldn't make, he is. All the dreams I've had for him are starting to come true. 

Thank you to each one of you who believed in Pook. And thank you God for creating him exactly the way he is. Uniquely divine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment