Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Vacation....

Pook went on vacation without me and his father for a full week!!!! 

Did I panic before he left? Absolutely!! Did I give thousands of instructions convinced that something would go wrong before he left? Yep, sure did. Did I send out prayer request for everything to go well for him on the trip? Guilty as charged. 

To start with, Pook was going to be traveling with his uncles and siblings. His uncles have never really spent that much time with him. One is college educated on special needs, but I know my son isn't your "textbook" case. I kept giving ideas, suggestions, instructions. I didn't agree with the time they were leaving and tried to convince them of an earlier time. Instead, the actual time they set off ended up being an hour after the time they planned. 

Their plan was to leave at night, a couple hours after bedtime so that the kids would sleep the majority of the time they were traveling. They planned plenty of time for stops along the way. I managed to come inside after they left and go to sleep. I woke early and even managed to wait an hour or so before calling them. At 8:30am I called to see how they were. I was told the kids were all still asleep! What?!? Pook asleep at 8:30am?? Did he sleep straight through the night? Was he OK? Why was he still asleep? My brother patiently explaied to me that Pook was fine. He was asleep because they'd already made several stops along the way and Pook was awake for these stops. They went to Walmart and woke Pook up to go inside. He fell asleep when they put him back in the car. Then there was the pit stop at the gas station, where they got all the kids up to use the bathroom and buy sodas. Then, they stopped for an early breakfast at Shoney's. 

My mind raced frantically! Waking him up through the night?? A child it took us this long just to get him to sleep through the night and medication (herbal and prescribed) is required? Walmart??? The place he drives by and begs not to have to go to because it's so loud and it hurts his ears and eyes. I shook my head, kept my thoughts to myself, and figured Mom would have her hands full once he met up with her. 

After I got off the phone, my mind begin to churn. My brother said Pook was very well behaved in Walmart and it didn't seem to bother him. Could it be that Pook can tolerate Walmart in the middle of the night because there isn't so many people there? Is it substantially more quiet? Could this be a way to help him handle it better....by taking him occasionally at nights to get more accustomed to it? Where else is there we don't go that he might enjoy if we went at night? If we go at night, will it ease his anxiety the few times we do have to go during the day? 

And, what about Shoney's? He managed a buffet style resturaunt with no meltdowns? He was able to pick out his food AND eat? Again, is it because the early morning hours avoided crowds? Is it because he was refreshed from having just woke and not yet stimulated? What other places are there we can visit early morning when he first wakes? 

Soda? Well, we won't go there. It was caffeine free and free of artificial dyes and everyone loves a special treat now and then. 

Pook ended up having a great trip. He didn't get to bed on time most nights, but spent his entire day in the water which seemed to counteract the usual negatives of a late bedtime. He does adore water and it is so calming for him. He had so much fun at the pools that he told me he loved me and missed his Daddy but he did NOT want to come home yet. 

When his trip ended, and he did come home, he seemed to transition fairly well. He's had his issues, but nothing like what I expected.  


Overall, I learned alot from this experience. First, I learned that doing things differently won't always lead to disastrous results. Second, I've learned to embrace new ideas as they just might work. Third, I've learned that sometimes the transitions are worth the fun. Fourth, I learned my youngest can survive without me or Daddy for a week. Fifth.........this all means that I am soooooo planning an vacation with no children to celebrate my one year wedding anniversary later this year.

Trusting someone else with your child is never easy. Trusting someone else with your child that has special needs is incredibly hard. Doing so can open the door to many rewards and much needed breaks for Mom and DAd!

No comments:

Post a Comment